Despite Democrat and media efforts to paint Trump as a misogynist and every other manner of troglodyte, the president has granted a team of Afghan girls entry into the US so they can participate in an international robotics competition. Politico reports:
At the urging of President Donald Trump, U.S. officials have reversed course and decided to allow into the United States a group of Afghan girls hoping to participate in an international robotics competition next week, senior administration officials told POLITICO on Wednesday.
The decision followed a furious public backlash to the news that the six teens had been denied U.S. visas. That criticism swelled as details emerged about the girls’ struggle to build their robot and get visas.
“The State Department worked incredibly well with the Department of Homeland Security to ensure that this case was reviewed and handled appropriately,” Dina Powell, Trump's deputy national security adviser for strategy, said in a statement. “We could not be prouder of this delegation of young women who are also scientists — they represent the best of the Afghan people and embody the promise that their aspirations can be fulfilled. They are future leaders of Afghanistan and strong ambassadors for their country.”
The State Department initially rejected the teens' visa applications, according to reports, though it never detailed a reason. This, of course, provided fodder for Trump critics who claimed the girls were being discriminated against by Trump's temporary travel ban.
Nonetheless, upon learning more about the particular case of these Afghan teens, Trump, according to Politico, "asked officials at the National Security Council to see what they could do."
The end result is that the Department of Homeland Security agreed to grant the girls a "parole" stay, used only in exceptional circumstances, in order to facilitate their participation in the competition next week.
Of course no positive news -- however big or small -- concerning President Trump will ever see the light of day.