According to a letter obtained by the blog Legal Insurrection, Vassar College president Catherine Hill denounced the anti-Semitic Nazi propaganda posted by the college's chapter of Students for Justice in Palestine:
Subject: [Students] Bias incident investigation
Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 21:07:47
To the Vassar Community:
I am writing to condemn a racist, anti-Semitic graphic posted to the Tumblr online site affiliated with the Vassar chapter of Students for Justice in Palestine (SJP). In response to this posting, the college is initiating a full investigation and action on the matter under established college procedures. SJP Vassar is a Vassar student “preliminary organization,” an initial status required of all student organizations as they seek full certification by the Vassar Student Association (VSA). I am requesting VSA review of the SJP’s pre-organization status. The college is also investigating the SJP’s online posting as a bias incident under college regulations. I also request that the SJP Vassar membership take responsibility for its actions and cease representing itself as an official Vassar group, pending these investigations. Vassar College is committed to free speech and academic freedom, but we condemn racist, hateful speech.
The photo in question was produced by the Nazis and originally targeted at the Netherlands in 1944:
Just today the group posted a quote from George Habbash of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP), which read "In today’s world no one is innocent, no one is neutral. A man is either with the oppressor or the oppressed. He who takes no interest in politics gives his blessing to the prevailing order…"
PFLP is most famous for its willingness to hijack planes and kill Jews. The Jewish Virtual Library highlights the organization's current day goals and their past hijacking efforts:
Today, the PFLP "aims to mobilize and lead the struggle of the Palestinian masses for the return to Palestine, self-determination, and the establishment of a Palestinian state. These, in turn, are steps along the path of defeating the Zionist entity, liberating all of Palestine, and establishing a democratic Palestinian state where all citizens enjoy equal rights, free from discrimination on the basis of race, sex, or religious belief. Beyond this, the PFLP aims at the establishment of a democratic socialist society."
Some of its more prominent attacks include:
- The hijacking of an El Al plane (July 23, 1968); 16 prisoners were released.
- Hijacking of 3 planes belonging to Western countries (September 6, 1970): Three commercial airliners were hijacked and blown up after the passengers were evacuated. An attempt to hijack an Israeli (ElAl) airliner was foiled. Three days later another Western plane was hijacked as well.
- The assassination of Rehavam Ze'evi (October 17, 2001).
- A suicide bombing attack at the West Bank village of Karnei Shomrom (February 16, 2002); 3 Israeli civilians murdered, 25 wounded.
- A suicide bombing attack at a bus station at the Geha junction in Tel Aviv (December 25, 2003); 3 Israelis murdered.