Gay pride parades all across North America are all about one thing: inclusivity -- unless Black Lives Matter gets involved, and then all bets are off the table.
That's exactly what happened in Toronto over the weekend when #BlackLivesMatter Toronto appropriated itself into the parade line and began making its own demands. BLM members executed a sit-in at an intersection that lasted for 30 minutes. There they made demands and wouldn't move until Pride Toronto organizers signed off.
Here's what they wanted (pay close attention to number 8):
- Commit to BQY’s (Black Queer Youth) continued space (including stage/tents), funding, and logistical support.
- Self-determination for all community spaces, allowing community full control over hiring, content, and structure of their stages.
- Full and adequate funding for community stages, including logistical, technical, and personnel support.
- Double funding for Blockorama (to $13,000 + ASL interpretation & headliner funding).
- Reinstate and make a commitment to increase community stages/spaces (including the reinstatement of the South Asian stage).
- A commitment to increase representation amongst Pride Toronto staffing/hiring, prioritizing black trans women, indigenous people, and others from vulnerable communities.
- A commitment to more black deaf and hearing ASL interpreters for the festival.
- Removal of police floats in the pride marches/parades.
- A public townhall, organized in conjunction with groups from marginalized communities, including, but not limited to, Black Lives Matter- Toronto, Blackness Yes, and BQY to be held six months from today. Pride Toronto will present an update and action plan on the aforementioned demands.
After the demonstration, organizers of the parade met with the BLM group and signed off on all of its demands and released a statement:
During the parade, BLM-TO started a conversation with us to explore how we can create an even more inclusive and safe festival. We, like BLM-TO have a commitment to ensure our most marginalized communities feel safe and welcome at the festival. We welcome this opportunity to continue the conversation with them.
To recap: BLM Toronto appropriated (hijacked) an all-inclusive gay pride parade, bringing it to a halt to make demands to exclude a group of people. That's the Left's definition of "tolerance."
A police presence will still be at future pride events to maintain public order, but they just can't sit atop a colorful float and show support to the community.