Two Jewish teenagers leaving a synagogue in Marseilles on Tuesday were beaten up and robbed in an anti-Semitic attack purportedly by two men “of African origin,” according to the French National Bureau of Vigilance Against Anti-Semitism (BNVCA). The teens told police that the attackers yelled, “Dirty Jews, we will exterminate all of you,” according to Israel National News.
40% of the population of Marseilles is now Muslim; it is estimated that Marseilles will become the first Muslim majority city in France.
The two Jewish teenagers required medical treatment. One of them said he thought he knew the attackers. BNVCA asked Marseille police to "do everything possible to identify and question the attackers," and suggested more stringent punishment for attacks to deter further incidents.
The organization stated, "Jewish citizens have become increasingly vulnerable targets. This gives rise to insecurity, despite the significant steps taken by the government to try to protect its Jewish citizens, and their places of worship."
In 2012, the SPCJ (Service de Protection de la Communaute Juive), a security agency for French Jewry, reported there had been a 45% increase in anti-Semitic attacks since 2011, mostly by Muslims. In November of that year, a Jewish father was badly beaten and the family’s home destroyed by youths from the community. In 2014, a Jewish man in his sixties was attacked by a Muslim youth.