Oscar-winner Philip Seymour Hoffman, 46, was found dead Sunday, with a hypodermic needle in his arm, in his Greenwich Village apartment in what by all accounts is a heroin overdose. In a tragic coincidence, the news of the actor’s death comes just a few days after a satiric website circulated a celebrity death hoax.
When Hoffman’s friend, David Bar Katz, and a female friend went to check on Hoffman late Sunday morning after he missed an appointment to pick up his three children (from girlfriend Mimi O’Donnell), they found the actor prostrate on a bathroom floor. Katz immediately called 911.
Evidence of a heroin overdose was clear. As the NY Post reports:
Cops found five empty glassine envelopes in a garbage can, two more under the bed and one on a table in the apartment, where Hoffman — who has repeatedly struggled with substance abuse — was living recently, sources said.
Cops also found a charred spoon in the kitchen sink, sources say.
“He was shooting up in the bathroom,” a law-enforcement source said.
The envelopes were marked “Ace of Spades,” which sources said is a brand of heroin that hasn’t been seen on the streets since around 2008 in Brooklyn.
Many who were close to the actor were unsurprised by the circumstances, as several expressed concern that his drug addiction issues had returned after he checked himself into rehab in 2012.
Hoffman won the Oscar for best actor for his starring role in Capote in 2005 and was nominated for three Academy Awards for supporting role in Charlie Wilson’s War (2008), Doubt (2009), and The Master (2013).