Military Generals Want Women to Register for Draft

Well, why not?

Two Generals in the military have come forward to say that women should now have to register for the draft, as the Defense Department has opened up combat jobs to women.

Marine Corps Commandant Gen. Robert Neller and Army Chief of Staff Gen. Mark Milley agreed that the current policy, which requires only males register for the Selective Service System, should be changed after restrictions that barred women from trying out for combat jobs were lifted last year.

"Every American who's physically qualified should register for the draft," said Neller at a Senate Armed Services Committee hearing Tuesday.

"I think that all eligible and qualified men and women should register for the draft," Milley added.

Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus and Army Acting Secretary Patrick Murphy didn't go quite as far, but did think the issue should be opened up for a national debate.

"This needs to be looked at as part of a national debate, given the changed circumstances," said Mabus.

In 1981, The Supreme Court upheld the decision to exempt women from the draft as women were restricted from combat. 

"The existence of combat restrictions clearly indicates the basis for Congress' decision to exempt women from registration," Justice William Rehnquist wrote.