Judge Rules Against Executive Privilege Claim in Fast and Furious Scandal

On Tuesday, a judge ruled against the Department of Justice claim of executive privilege to withhold documents in the Fast and Furious scandal.

Back in 2012, House Republicans sued the DOJ for thousands of documents relating to the gun walking scandal.

In her decision Tuesday, U.S. District Judge Amy Jackson Berman said it was inappropriate for the Justice Department to make a blanket assertion of executive privilege in part because the agency had already disclosed through other channels much of the information it wants to withhold.

"Since any harm that would flow from the disclosures sought here would be merely incremental, the records must be produced," the judge wrote.

Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-UT) said the judge's ruling will help the House Oversight and Government Reform committee's investigation. 

"While the decision doesn't give us access to all the documents, it is an important step forward. We will continue investigating until we get to the truth," he said in a statement.

Organizations