J Street U came out in support for groups they deemed to have been censored on college campuses. In a statement titled, “J Street U Statement on “Israel Apartheid Week” and Recent Censorship Attempts,” the student branch of the lobbying organization rushed to the defense of anti-Israel groups on campus:
At the same time, our concern over the arguments and tactics of those with whom we disagree must never lead to censorship, especially on American college campuses. We are deeply concerned to see a recent rise in attempts to shut down those with different perspectives, even when we deeply disagree with those perspectives and work towards different outcomes.
When the Jewish community kept Jewish Voice for Peace (JVP) out of the Hillel at Brandeis, even as we opposed JVP’s work around BDS, we vigorously protested. When Barnard College removed a Students for Justice in Palestine (SJP) banner from public display just a few weeks ago, we voiced our opposition, despite our disagreements with the content of the banner. And troubled as we are by many of SJP’s tactics at Northeastern University, we are simultaneously troubled by the University’s deeply problematic suspension of the chapter.”
Most troubling of all is J Street U’s highlight of the Northeastern University SJP. The group was suspended for its pro-terrorism and anti-Semitic messaging, which was conveyed through highly questionable tactics on campus. Full details were reported on FrontPage Mag.
Here is a summary of the major offenses by the Northeastern University SJP:
- SJP leader Max Geller has been photographed in a pro-Hezbollah t-shirt in Boston.
- Another leader SJP leader, Ryan Branagan, was pictured in a Laila Khaled shirt similar to the shirt worn by members of J Street U Wash U.
- During the Dec 2012 Gaza operation, hundreds of NU SJP protesters ran amok in downtown Boston shouting “Resistance is justified when people are occupied,” and “from the river to the sea, Palestine will be free.” They physically threatened Jewish counter-protestors.
- Students for Justice in Palestine members vandalized the campus with “Zionism is racism” stickers.
- Members of SJP crashed a Holocaust Awareness Week event put on by the group Huskies for Israel and tried to shut it down, claiming war criminals aren’t welcome at Northeastern.