A court will decide this week whether the State Department can act as part of the Hillary Clinton campaign and delay the release of thousands of pages of emails from Clinton's time as Secretary of State. The emails were ordered released by the end of January until officials stopped the release of thousands of pages saying they need another month in order to consult. If allowed to stand, the delay would make sure early state voters know nothing of the email contents and possible controversies.
But a lawyer for Jason Leopold, the Vice News reporter who filed the Freedom of Information Act lawsuit in question last year, argued Monday that State had no grounds on which to stall the release of the emails.
"Voters should be dismayed by State's attempt to withhold from the public over 7,000 pages of presidential candidate Hillary Clinton's emails documenting her tenure as the nation's top diplomat," said Ryan James, Leopold's attorney, when filing an opposition brief in federal court Monday. "If the delay State seeks is granted, over 45 million Americans in early voting states may be asked to vote without the knowledge of what these emails contain."
The State Department argued in court papers filed Friday that it had discovered, on the week of Jan. 11, thousands of pages of Clinton's emails that had never been sent to outside agencies for review, as they should have been in past months.
Clinton's emails, run through a personal rather than government email account and routed through a personal server, have been the focus of much attention over the last year. So far it has been revealed that Clinton told her daughter that Benghazi was a terrorist attack even as she was telling the American people it was all due to a video. There are possible violations of the law found within the emails and classified information was put at risk of being hacked.