The mainstream media joined Hillary Clinton in defeat in the 2016 presidential election. The liberal bias so many of us have known about for so long was finally recognized by a fed-up republic worn out from the lies fed to them daily. Big Media was busted, and now it is seeking absolution.
One leading the charge is NBC News’s Chuck Todd, who recently compiled a list, “What we got wrong in the 2016 presidential election.” It isn’t exhaustive, but hey, it’s a start:
If you believe in learning from your mistakes, here is everything we and plenty others seemed to get wrong in the general election:
- That the poll numbers showing Donald Trump's percentage in the high 30s and low 40s couldn't grow;
- That a seemingly stable race -- with Hillary Clinton holding a consistent lead -- wouldn't change at the end;
- That the votes out of Urban America and its suburbs would overwhelm the votes out of Rural America;
- That Clinton was the one expanding the political map versus Trump doing it;
- That changing demographics assured Democratic success in presidential contests, unless the GOP made an explicit appeal to minority voters;
- That the Obama coalition could be transferred to another Democrat;
- That Trump couldn't win if he got a lower percentage of white voters than Mitt Romney did four years ago;
- That the party's that's more united has the advantage in a presidential contest over the more divide party;
- That the conventions and presidential debates actually mattered;
- That a small band of partisans couldn't get away with trying to delegitimize the media;
- And that a presidential candidate who demolished so many norms (not releasing tax returns, talking about jailing an opponent, threatening not to respect the election's outcome) would pay a price for them in the end.
Todd forgot to add another thing the media got wrong: “That Clinton’s federal crimes and rampant corruption would be ignored by voters.”
They still have plenty to learn.